The PathCare Academy is offering training programmes for Phlebotomy Technician Learnerships commencing in 2016. This two year course has been successfully offered by the Academy since its inception in 2006 when Pathcare engaged South Africa’s first phlebotomy learners.
The learnership consists of a structured learning component (theory) as well as work place experience (practical).
The theoretical component of the training will take place at the PathCare Academy in Cape Town. Length of time in Cape Town is approximately 8 months in total but this may vary. Students gain practical experience at various PathCare laboratories across South Africa.
Successful candidates are paid an allowance and are employed on a two-year contract during their studies at the PathCare Academy.
All accommodation costs, while in Cape Town and other locations, is the responsibility of the student.
Learners are taught anatomy and physiology, medical ethics, laboratory safety (including HIV infection prevention), and how to safely collect blood and non blood specimens for medical pathology and blood transfusion purposes.
Registered phlebotomy technicians are equipped, through the knowledge and skills gained, to safely collect blood and other human tissue samples for medical pathology or blood transfusion purposes.
These samples aid in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of disease and disease processes in the body.
On successful completion of the two year course and a Board Examination set by the HPCSA, the learner is able to register with the HPCSA as a qualified Phlebotomy Technician and is able to work in pathology laboratories or blood transfusion services.
Successful students will be eligible to apply for permanent positions at PathCare locations across the country.
– Grade 12 Mathematics/Maths Literacy and Biology/Life Science.
Desired Competencies and Abilities:
- Read, write and speak English fluently
- Read, write and understand basic Afrikaans
- Work effectively as part of a team and independently
- Work under pressure and study rigorously
- Possess a well developed work ethic
- Willing to collect and/or process blood and body products
- Provide excellent service and be responsive to customer needs
- Work shifts and after hours as required
The competitive selection process will include: screening of applications and academic results, written proficiency tests and panel interviews.
All fields are to be completed. If your form is incomplete your application will not be considered
DO NOT include a CV. All information that is required at this stage should be filled in on the application form.
The following documents must accompany your application:
- Certified copy of your ID
- Certified copy of your final Grade 12 certificate (If you are currently in Grade 12 please supply a copy of your June report with results)
- Certified copy of results from any tertiary studies whether the course is complete or incomplete
- Two completed personal recommendations (Pg 7/8) one should be from your teacher/lecturer and the other from your manager/supervisor.
NOTE: applicants who have not followed all the instructions and accurately and thoroughly completed the application form, or who have not provided certified copies of all required documents will not be considered
Closing Date: 30 September 2015
Click Here to Download Application
Click Here to Pathcare Career Page