Students

Photography exhibition a dream come true

SUCCESS: Photography student, Justin Smidt, is honoured to be part of a prestigious exhibition.

When photography student Justin Smidt attended a prestigious photographic exhibition last year he hoped that his work would be featured in the exhibition one day.

And just one year later his dream has been realised – Smidt’s work was selected to be showcased during the Cape Town International Jazz Festival (CTIJF) Duotone Photographic Exhibition.

The exhibition displays the work of both amateur and industry professionals. It captures the essence of “jazz in motion” and documents the emergence and growth of jazz globally.

“I was surprised when I heard I had been selected. It is such an honour,” he said.

Not only was his work selected for the exhibition but one of his photographs is also featured on the poster for the exhibition.

The poster features a photograph that Justin took of French singer, Laetitia Dana.

Last year, as part of a collaboration between CPUT’s Media Department and the CTIJF, Smidt was one of two photography students who were awarded a bursary to participate in the CTIJF Photojournalism course.

Participants not only received mentorship from professional photographers but were also given the opportunity to photograph the jazz musicians during the concerts.

“The CTIJF really is a wonderful opportunity for students in the media department to gain work experience and I want to thank all the lecturers who are assisting with this. I’m grateful to lecturers Zubeida Vallie (photography) and Rifqah Abrahams (Public Relations), who assisted me with getting the bursary,” said Smidt.

Ilse Fredericks