Sport

Star athlete needs a helping hand

DETERMINATION: CPUT athlete, Siboniso Soldaka, is raising funds to compete overseas with the hope of qualifying for the IAAF World Athletics Championships in London

A budding CPUT athlete is raising funds to fulfil his dream of qualifying for the IAAF World Athletics Championships in London and the World Students Track and Field Championships in Taipei, China.

Siboniso Soldaka, a third-year student in the Department of Business and Information Administration, represented both the Western Cape Province and the country successfully in 2016.

After winning a bronze medal at the USSA National Championships last year, Siboniso booked a spot in the CUCSA Games in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, where he went on to win the silver medal in the 1500m.

He also ran the fastest time for the10km race in the Western Cape as he was the only athlete to finish the distance under 30 minutes.

“I am raising funds for my trip to Europe in June to go and compete against the best athletes in the world so that I may run some good times and qualify for the World IAAF Championships and the World Student Championship that will both take place in August,” says the tenacious athlete.

“I am trying to raise R12 000 so that I can be able to book my flights and pay for accommodation.”

He wants to join a small group of athletes who are travelling to Europe in June to compete on the international circuit with the aim to run fast times that will qualify him for the world championships.

Despite the lack of sponsorship, Siboniso is grateful for the financial support he receives from Annelie Swarts, CPUT’s Student Sports Administrator, and his coach Sean Snyman, who on various occasions paid out of their own pockets for him to compete outside the province.

For more information contact Annelie Swarts on 0214603740 or swartsa@cput.ac.za