Students are supported in acquiring and understanding academic literacy.
The objectives of academic literacy support are:
- To help students’ acquire academic writing skills by guiding them through their written assignments
- To integrate academic literacy into the students’ courses in partnership with lecturers teaching these courses
- To assist first-year and international and students with language difficulties
The support takes the form of:
- One on one – students are allocated a period of one hour to individually consult with a lecturer or consultant
- Group consultations – students can come in groups of five to ten to consult with a lecturer or a learning facilitator
- Team teaching – Academic Literacy lecturers teach with lecturers in faculties in order to integrate academic literacy in the course
- Workshops in note taking skills, study skills, report writing skills, exam preparation skills, research proposal writing, essay writing, using the internet as a research tool, oral presentation and basic computer literacy are presented. These workshops are advertised on Newsflash. Also lecturers request workshops for their students on a particular topic.
Learn more about the Academic Literacy Invention 10 week programme
If you would like an online consultation, please complete the following consultation form