General Staff

Compliance Manager joins Registrar’s Office

WELCOME: Mbongeni Mateta filled the newly created Compliance Manager post

Compliance within all departments at CPUT is a critical function which ensures the university stays afloat.

The Registrar’s office has been given a boost in this area thanks to the recent addition of Mbongeni Mateta.

Mateta joined the team as a Compliance Manager a month ago and his main functions will be to ensure the ethical and financial compliance across all CPUT governing structures including Senate and Council.

Mateta is an Advocate with a strong business background and has worked in senior positions in former  President Nelson Mandela’s office, the Post Office as well as in the Gaming and Aviation industries to name a few.

“Compliance has become an established business practice within large corporations but it is important to understand that it isn’t a watchdog- rather it is about understanding where we come from and what we need to do,” he says.

Mateta adds that he is excited to join CPUT and launch his office from the ground up.

“I consider myself fortunate to start something from scratch. That means when I leave here one day I will be leaving a legacy. Looking at CPUT I can immediately identify the Protection Of Personal Information (POPI) as an area where I can lend my expertise.”