General

Mr SA working for change

GOING PLACES: CPUT lecturer Habib Noorbhai, who holds the title of Mr South Africa 2016, aims to make a difference in various areas including education and youth development

CPUT lecturer Habib Noorbhai, who holds the title of Mr South Africa 2016, is hoping to make a difference in the areas of health, education, sport, youth development and poverty.

Noorbhai, a biokineticist and researcher in the Department of Sport Management, won the sought after title in November, following in the footsteps of well-known TV personalities like Michael Mol.

“I have exciting projects lined up for the year in association with other stakeholders that will form part of CPUT’s community engagement / RTI (Research and Technology Innovation) blueprint and hopefully provide our institution with heaps of exposure and credibility.”

Since winning the title he has appeared on a variety of TV shows, including Top Billing and Expresso, and has been featured in newspapers and magazines.

He has met several well-known South Africans, including Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, rugby player Bryan Habana and Cape Town mayor, Patricia de Lille.

But he foresees no problems in juggling his responsibilities as Mr SA and his work at CPUT.

“The advantage of being an academic is that the community engagement work I do (measured through research) compliments most of the activities done as Mr South Africa. Working smart is key, and from a young age I have been managing my time effectively with various priorities.

“If one juggles too many balls, and if one ball drops, all can fall, but if you integrate your priorities for a common purpose then you don’t put yourself in a juggling space”.

Noorbhai is grateful to everyone who supported him on his journey to becoming Mr SA.

“Thank you to those who have supported me and especially to my line manager, Prof Simeon Davies. I hope to effectively fulfil my objectives and goals during my reign effectively and meticulously, not only for CPUT but for our beautiful country.”

Ilse Fredericks