Riders

Meet Mteza Boya

In a CPUT first, the university will be fielding a very special pair of riders in the Absa Cape Epic. Seraj Abrahams, an alumnus, will be racing in the CPUT PPS team with a remarkable young man who hails from Khayelitsha, Mthetheleli Boya. The pair will be entered in the Exxarro category of the Epic, which aims to promote mountain-biking to historically disadvantaged communities.

Mteza is only 22 years old, but has years of cycling experience under his belt. He explains that when he was 13 years old, he was introduced to the first cycling club in the community, Velokhaya.

Velokhaya Life Cycling Academy uses cycling to involve children living in marginalised communities in a positive after-school activity. They aim to build the children’s self-esteem and keep them off the streets, away from gangsterism, crime and substance abuse.

Mteza says he was impressed by the bicycles and cycling kit that the club members wore, and although he wasn’t very clued-up on the sport, he joined the club as his mother, a single parent of six, couldn’t afford to buy him a bike.

“When I joined the cycling club the first thing that they did to me and all the other children who had no bikes was physical training. Based on the dedication, time and hard work of those of us who gave it our all, and showed that we were really into cycling, we received bikes. And the rest, as they say, is history.”

Mteza says he learned so much from Velokhaya, particularly that true champions are dedicated, hard-working, disciplined and well-mannered, on and off the bike.

“I also learned to not be selfish and always give back by sharing my training and the experience with others at Velokhaya.”

Mteza would love to study Sports Management at CPUT and may be the recipient of a bursary, which will be issued in accordance with CPUT’s academic rules and regulations for 2016.

“I am overwhelmed with happiness and excitement. I’m very aware that opportunities like this are very rare and I’m giving it my all to make my dreams come true.”

View Team CPUT PPS’s profiles

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

No Comments