Riders

Meet Sarita Louw

Twenty-eight year old Sarita Louw will be riding in Team CPUT in the mixed category with partner Etienne Joubert. Sarita is a battle-hardened veteran in the mountain biking world, having raced in almost every big race there is, often achieving 1st, 2nd or 3rd place whilst doing so.

Sarita completed a B.Ed Intermediate and Senior Phase degree at CPUT in 2011. She says it’s definitely four years of her life that she misses, having met and made her closest friends during that time.

Sarita began cycling when she was about 8 years old with her father and brother in the Grabouw mountains, which were almost in her back yard.

“I started taking cycling more seriously from the age of 14. Since then I’ve raced almost every MTB (mountain bike) race around the Western and Southern Cape and achieved many podium places. This will be my first Epic. The serious training started in October of last year.”

“We did some long rides during the December holiday and are now focusing more on strength and speed with long rides over the weekends. With Etienne’s guidance, my training and fitness has really improved.”

Sarita says her father and husband play a very big role in her cycling and the level at which she is riding today. Her dad is also an alumnus of CPUT, having graduated from the Engineering Faculty of the former Cape Tech.

“My father is one of my best friends and we are very much alike. I enjoy training with him and having a laugh. I can’t always train with my husband due to him being so much stronger, but my father is always keen to go ride.”

Sarita adds that even though the race is male-dominated, she is not easily intimidated.

“I have a lot of respect for women that race at this level. I think women have more endurance, not only in cycling, but most other daily tasks in life. Although racing in the mixed category won’t be easy, my partner is strong and our understanding and communication is the key to a good race.”

View Team CPUT’s profiles

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

No Comments